Editor: Dr. Amy Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CSCS, CKTP - A Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and Certified Manual Therapist. Owner and Physical Therapist, Specialized Physical Therapy in North Reading, MA.
Symptoms of an Ankle Fracture:
Ankle fractures cause immediate and severe pain, follower by swelling, bruising, and the inability to put weight on the foot. It will be difficult to move your foot and there are obvious deformities of bones around the ankle in the case of severe fractures. If the fracture caused an injury to nerves or blood vessels, your foot will go pale, numbness will set in, and you will be unable to move your foot or toes.
Causes of an Ankle Fracture:
- Rolling the ankle inward or outward
- Twisting the ankle side to side
- Extreme flexing or extending of the joint
- Severe force or weight applied to the joint landing straight down on it
Treatment of an Ankle Fracture:
A cast will likely be worn for approximately six to eight weeks, if the fracture can be treated without surgery. Once the cast is removed, physical therapy may be needed before you can continue normal activities. Physical therapy treatment includes soft tissue and joint mobilization techniques that help restore foot and ankle range of motion. In addition, stretching and strengthening exercises, as well as balance and gait training will help to improve overall mobility. A qualified physical therapist can design a personalized program to safely help you return to normal activity and function. Total recovery time varies depending on the severity of the injury and the physical demands of your lifestyle.
The recovery and rehabilitation process will be longer if surgery is required to repair a fractured ankle, but the physical therapy will focus on similar treatment methods to restore ankle motion, strength, and overall mobility.
SPT is just minutes from Andover, Reading, North Andover, and Wilmington MA
Specialized Physical Therapy is conveniently located in North Reading and also proudly serves residents in Andover, Reading, North Andover, Wilmington, Boxford, Burlington, Woburn, Stoneham, and Methuen. We offer free and spacious parking located within a few steps away from our clinic’s door.
Schedule Your Appointment Today to Regain Freer Movement and Healthy Living!
Specialized Physical Therapy practices a comprehensive approach to total muscle, joint, and spine health. We are the preferred physical therapy clinic in Greater Boston, because we offer an extensive range of physical therapy services designed to restore your physical strength and mobility while reducing your pain. Our physical therapy clinic sets itself apart by:
- Providing proven techniques for alleviating minor, major, acute, and chronic pain.
- Specializing in sports medicine, manual therapy, post-surgical care, auto accidents, prenatal and postpartum conditions, orthopedic injuries and overuse injuries.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable, private and quiet clinic, making it ideal for private consulting, educating and performing the latest physical therapy techniques.
- Focusing on your individual needs, not the bottom line, because we are a small, physical therapist-owned and family-oriented clinic.
- Treating one patient at a time in our private treatment room to make sure that you get the personalized care and attention you need.
- Completing your treatment from start to finish with only exceptional doctorate trained and fully licensed Massachusetts physical therapists that have excellent skills, breadth of knowledge, and invaluable experience to help you reach your goals and succeed.