Knee Pain Relief and Injury
Editor: Dr. Amy Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CSCS, CKTP - A Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and Certified Manual Therapist. Owner and Physical Therapist, Specialized Physical Therapy in North Reading, MA.
The Knee Joint
The knee is the largest joint in the body and healthy knees are required to perform most everyday activities. The knee is made up of the lower end of the thigh bone (femur), the upper end of the shin bone (tibia), and the kneecap (patella). The ends of these three bones where they touch are covered with articular cartilage, which is a smooth substance that protects the bones and enables them to easily move. There are two menisci (lateral and medial) located between the femur and tibia. They act as shock absorbers that cushion the joint. Large ligaments hold the femur and tibia together to provide stability. The quadriceps (thigh) muscles give the knee strength. The remaining surfaces of the knee are covered by a thin lining called the synovial membrane. This membrane releases fluid that lubricates the cartilage, making friction practically non-existent in a healthy knee.
Normally all of these structures work in synchrony, but disease or injury can disrupt this harmony, resulting in pain, muscle weakness, and reduced function.
These are the eight most common knee injuries that can be successfully treated using physical therapy:
- Meniscal Tear
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear (ACL Tear)
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Tear (PCL Tear)
- Medial Collateral Ligament Strain (MCL Strain)
- Lateral Collateral Ligament Strain (LCL Strain)
- Patellofemoral Syndrome
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Total Knee Replacement
SPT is just minutes from Andover, Reading, North Andover, and Wilmington MA
Specialized Physical Therapy is conveniently located in North Reading and also proudly serves residents in Andover, Reading, North Andover, Wilmington, Boxford, Burlington, Woburn, Stoneham, and Methuen. We offer free and spacious parking located within a few steps away from our clinic’s door.
Schedule Your Appointment Today to Regain Freer Movement and Healthy Living!
Specialized Physical Therapy practices a comprehensive approach to total muscle, joint, and spine health. We are the preferred physical therapy clinic in Greater Boston, because we offer an extensive range of physical therapy services designed to restore your physical strength and mobility while reducing your pain. Our physical therapy clinic sets itself apart by:
- Providing proven techniques for alleviating minor, major, acute, and chronic pain.
- Specializing in sports medicine, manual therapy, post-surgical care, auto accidents, prenatal and postpartum conditions, orthopedic injuries and overuse injuries.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable, private and quiet clinic, making it ideal for private consulting, educating and performing the latest physical therapy techniques.
- Focusing on your individual needs, not the bottom line, because we are a small, physical therapist-owned and family-oriented clinic.
- Treating one patient at a time in our private treatment room to make sure that you get the personalized care and attention you need.
- Completing your treatment from start to finish with only exceptional doctorate trained and fully licensed Massachusetts physical therapists that have excellent skills, breadth of knowledge, and invaluable experience to help you reach your goals and succeed.