Editor: Dr. Amy Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CSCS, CKTP - A Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and Certified Manual Therapist. Owner and Physical Therapist, Specialized Physical Therapy in North Reading, MA.
A bursa refers to a fluid-filled sac that is designed to reduce friction, so your elbow joint can smoothly flex back and forth. The olecranon bursa overlies the tip of the elbow and can become inflamed. Inflammation in the olecranon bursa will result in pain and limited movement of your elbow.
Symptoms of Olecranon Bursitis:
Pain at the tip of your elbow during movement or while applying pressure is a common symptom of olecranon bursitis. Your elbow may also be swollen, red, and warm to the touch. Another symptom of olecranon bursitis is the inability to move your elbow freely without pain.
Causes of Olecranon Bursitis:
This form of elbow injury can be caused from over use of the joint, an infection, prolonged pressure on the elbow, or trauma to the tip of the elbow. You can also develop olecranon bursitis if you suffer from systemic diseases like gout or rheumatoid arthritis.
Treatment of Olecranon Bursitis:
Physical therapy may not be recommended for the treatment of olecranon bursitis, but it can help speed up the recovery process. If the condition becomes severe and does not respond to physical therapy, a bursectomy (removal of the bursa) may be the best course of action. It is important to consult with a physical therapist to determine the right treatment for your particular case.
SPT is just minutes from Andover, Reading, North Andover, and Wilmington MA
Specialized Physical Therapy is conveniently located in North Reading, MA and also proudly serves residents in Andover, Reading, North Andover, Wilmington, Boxford, Burlington, Woburn, Stoneham, and Methuen, MA. We offer free and spacious parking located within a few steps away from our clinic’s door.
Schedule Your Appointment Today to Regain Freer Movement and Healthy Living!
Specialized Physical Therapy practices a comprehensive approach to total muscle, joint, and spine health. We are the preferred physical therapy clinic in Greater Boston, because we offer an extensive range of physical therapy services designed to restore your physical strength and mobility while reducing your pain. Our physical therapy clinic sets itself apart by:
- Providing proven techniques for alleviating minor, major, acute, and chronic pain.
- Specializing in sports medicine, manual therapy, post-surgical care, auto accidents, prenatal and postpartum conditions, orthopedic injuries and overuse injuries.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable, private and quiet clinic, making it ideal for private consulting, educating and performing the latest physical therapy techniques.
- Focusing on your individual needs, not the bottom line, because we are a small, physical therapist-owned and family-oriented clinic.
- Treating one patient at a time in our private treatment room to make sure that you get the personalized care and attention you need.
- Completing your treatment from start to finish with only exceptional doctorate trained and fully licensed Massachusetts physical therapists that have excellent skills, breadth of knowledge, and invaluable experience to help you reach your goals and succeed.