Editor: Dr. Amy Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CSCS, CKTP - A Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and Certified Manual Therapist. Owner and Physical Therapist, Specialized Physical Therapy in North Reading, MA.
Wrist sprains are graded according to the severity of the injury:
- Grade I: Mild injury – the ligaments are stretched, but there is no significant tearing.
- Grade II: Moderate injury – the ligaments may be partially torn.
- Grade III: Severe wrist sprain – the ligaments are completely torn and there may be instability of the joint.
Causes of Wrist Sprain:
You can sprain your wrist by using your hand to try to break your fall. Any hard impact fall, rough twisting of your wrist or repetitive wrist movements can cause a sprain. Wrist sprains are common amongst basketball players, skiers, and gymnasts.
Symptoms of Wrist Sprain:
Wrist sprains are usually painful. You might feel a pop or tear when the injury happens, followed by the inability to move your wrist. Swelling, bruising, tenderness, and warmth in your wrist are also signs that it might be sprained.
Treatment of Wrist Sprain:
The recommended treatment for a wrist sprain is resting and icing the injured area until your physical therapists advises you are ready for physical therapy. In the meantime, you should wear a bandage or brace to compress and immobilize the injured area. Once the brace is removed, physical therapy treatment and strengthening exercises will be necessary to revive full range of motion and physical strength. Ice and ultrasound may also be included to decrease inflammation and swelling. This will help accelerate the healing process.
Convenient Physical Therapy Clinic Location: North Reading, MA
Specialized Physical Therapy is conveniently located in North Reading, MA. We proudly serve residents in the neighboring communities including: Andover MA, Reading MA, North Andover MA, Wilmington MA, Boxford MA, Burlington MA, Woburn MA, Lynnfield MA, Melrose MA, Danvers MA, Middleton MA, Topsfield MA, Wakefield MA, and Methuen MA. We offer free and spacious parking located within a few steps away from our clinic’s door.
Schedule Your Appointment Today to Regain Freer Movement and Healthy Living!
Specialized Physical Therapy practices a comprehensive approach to total muscle, joint, and spine health. We are the preferred physical therapy clinic in Greater Boston, because we offer an extensive range of physical therapy services designed to restore your physical strength and mobility while reducing your pain. Our physical therapy clinic sets itself apart by:
- We have helped thousands of patients with low back pain, sciatica, disc bulge, shoulder pain, shoulder impingement, frozen shoulder, hip pain, hip replacement, hip impingement, knee pain, knee replacement, ACL tears, MCL strains, LCL strains, ankle pain, and much more. Our Physical Therapy experts can help you with your range of motion, strength, balance, pain, injuries, and more. Call Now to take control of your health!
- Providing proven techniques for alleviating minor, major, acute, and chronic pain.
- Specializing in sports medicine, manual therapy, post-surgical care, auto accidents, workers compensation, prenatal and postpartum conditions, orthopedic injuries and overuse injuries.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable, private and quiet clinic, making it ideal for private consulting, educating and performing the latest physical therapy techniques.
- Focusing on your individual needs, not the bottom line, because we are a small, physical therapist-owned and family-oriented clinic.
- Treating one patient at a time in our private treatment room to make sure that you get the personalized care and attention you need.
- Completing your treatment from start to finish with only exceptional doctorate trained and fully licensed Massachusetts physical therapists that have excellent skills, breadth of knowledge, and invaluable experience to help you reach your goals and succeed.