Editor: Dr. Amy Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CSCS, CKTP - A Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and Certified Manual Therapist. Owner and Physical Therapist, Specialized Physical Therapy in North Reading, MA.
A wrist fracture refers to any break or crack in the bones that make up your wrist. The radius bone is the most commonly broken bone in the wrist. A fracture of the radius is known as a Colles fracture, followed by scaphoid fractures.
Causes of Wrist Fractures:
Any excessive force or trauma to the wrist or hand can cause a fracture. Landing on your hand during a fall or using your hand to brace yourself in a car accident can result in a fractured wrist.
Symptoms of Wrist Fractures:
A wrist fracture is painful and will decrease mobility of your wrist and hand. There may also be swelling and deformity of the wrist.
Treatment of Wrist Fractures:
In most cases, your wrist will need to be in a cast for several weeks to keep it immobile. Physical therapy will be necessary after the cast is removed to restore your full range of motion and wrist strength. Stiffness in your wrist, hand, and fingers is quite common after this type of injury. Physical therapy is designed to slowly loosen your joints and rebuild your muscles, which will decrease the tightness in your wrist. Manual therapy is extremely beneficial and will enable your joints and muscles to move freely without pain. A strategic combination of physical therapy will help you regain normal use of your wrist and hand.
SPT is just minutes from Andover, Reading, North Andover, and Wilmington MA
Specialized Physical Therapy is conveniently located in North Reading and also proudly serves residents in Andover, Reading, North Andover, Wilmington, Boxford, Burlington, Woburn, Stoneham, and Methuen. We offer free and spacious parking located within a few steps away from our clinic’s door.
Schedule Your Appointment Today to Regain Freer Movement and Healthy Living!
Specialized Physical Therapy practices a comprehensive approach to total muscle, joint, and spine health. We are the preferred physical therapy clinic in Greater Boston, because we offer an extensive range of physical therapy services designed to restore your physical strength and mobility while reducing your pain. Our physical therapy clinic sets itself apart by:
- Providing proven techniques for alleviating minor, major, acute, and chronic pain.
- Specializing in sports medicine, manual therapy, post-surgical care, auto accidents, prenatal and postpartum conditions, orthopedic injuries and overuse injuries.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable, private and quiet clinic, making it ideal for private consulting, educating and performing the latest physical therapy techniques.
- Focusing on your individual needs, not the bottom line, because we are a small, physical therapist-owned and family-oriented clinic.
- Treating one patient at a time in our private treatment room to make sure that you get the personalized care and attention you need.
- Completing your treatment from start to finish with only exceptional doctorate trained and fully licensed Massachusetts physical therapists that have excellent skills, breadth of knowledge, and invaluable experience to help you reach your goals and succeed.