Editor: Dr. Amy Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, CSCS, CKTP - A Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and Certified Manual Therapist. Owner and Physical Therapist, Specialized Physical Therapy in North Reading, MA.
Wrist strains are graded according to the severity of the injury:
- Grade I: Mild strain – the muscle or tendon is stretched beyond its limit with minimal or no tearing of the muscle or tendon fibers.
- Grade II: Moderate strain – the muscle or tendon is overstretched resulting in partial tearing of the fibers.
- Grade III: Severe strain – the muscle or tendon is completely torn or ruptured.
Causes of Wrist Strain:
Any motion that causes the tendons in your wrist to pull and twist can cause a strain. A wrist strain can happen suddenly or develop overt time due to repetitive twisting or snapping of the wrist.
Symptoms of Wrist Strain:
Wrist strains are usually painful and accompanied by swelling and muscle spasms. If your wrist is strain, you will also have difficulty moving your wrist.
Treatment of Wrist Strain:
You should treat a wrist strain by resting and icing the injured area. Most physical therapists or physicians will recommend wrapping your wrist in a bandage or a brace to compress and immobilize the strained tendon. This should be followed with ice and ultrasound to decrease swelling and inflammation. Your treatment may also include strengthening exercises to regain your normal range of motion.
SPT is just minutes from Andover, Reading, North Andover, and Wilmington MA
Specialized Physical Therapy is conveniently located in North Reading, MA and also proudly serves residents in Andover, Reading, North Andover, Wilmington, Boxford, Burlington, Woburn, Stoneham, and Methuen, MA. We offer free and spacious parking located within a few steps away from our clinic’s door.
Schedule Your Appointment Today to Regain Freer Movement and Healthy Living!
Specialized Physical Therapy practices a comprehensive approach to total muscle, joint, and spine health. We are the preferred physical therapy clinic in Greater Boston, because we offer an extensive range of physical therapy services designed to restore your physical strength and mobility while reducing your pain. Our physical therapy clinic sets itself apart by:
- Providing proven techniques for alleviating minor, major, acute, and chronic pain.
- Specializing in sports medicine, manual therapy, post-surgical care, auto accidents, prenatal and postpartum conditions, orthopedic injuries and overuse injuries.
- Maintaining a clean, comfortable, private and quiet clinic, making it ideal for private consulting, educating and performing the latest physical therapy techniques.
- Focusing on your individual needs, not the bottom line, because we are a small, physical therapist-owned and family-oriented clinic.
- Treating one patient at a time in our private treatment room to make sure that you get the personalized care and attention you need.
- Completing your treatment from start to finish with only exceptional doctorate trained and fully licensed Massachusetts physical therapists that have excellent skills, breadth of knowledge, and invaluable experience to help you reach your goals and succeed.